Your notes are welcome:
Most recent edit:
Thursday July 24, 2014
Our community website here is ever growing. Contribute news and notes!
We are building content. Much is not linked yet.
By and for those living,
working, or matriculating in University Hills 90032.
Send in your news, notes, projects, suggestions, business information, requests,
task adoptions, stores, ....
Tell us about some of the things you are doing to keep our neighborhood
University Hills 90032
(a corner of El Sereno, a part of Los Angeles, a part of California,
a part of USA, a part of earth, a part of solar system, a part of Milky Way
galaxy, a part of universe)
This page is
Requests to Agents or City |
| Photographs | Maps |
Close to Us |
| Parks |
| Alleys |
1 plus or 1+
Neighborhood Watch |
| City of Los Angeles |
Border Neighbors | Pedestrian Bridge
That joy may increase in our corner of the world!
Neighbors caring for neighbors in University Hills 90032
via a 1 plus or
Discuss and form little agreements that make a difference!
- Empty lots and who owns them
- Animals in University Hills 90032:
- Our local fire department
Fire Station 16
- Camera surveillance for our alleys?
- Who is illegally dumping in our alleys? What is being dumped?
How to clear the materials?
- Crime data
- Outdated posted bills placed on posts and poles and fences?
- The "Rancho
Period" Mission Hills.
1776, the mission was moved to avoid the spring floods that ruined the first
crops, to its present location in the City of San Gabriel. That same year, one
of the 36 original adobes in California's history was built on what is now the
campus of California State University, Los Angeles."
Greater El Sereno Chamber of Commerce
http://www.elserenoscene.com/aboutES.html El Sereno Scene
- The CSLA Period
- The "University Hills" period
- What is the full story on the Laguna Stream that is on the east side of
University Hills? "After
Mexico's Independence from Spain (1821), the Rancho Rosa de Castilla (Rose of
Castile Ranch) was granted to the prominent California Juan Ballesteros by
Governor Manuel Victoria. Juan Ballesteros was the Regidor of the Pueblo of Los
Angeles from 1823 - 1824. The land grant owned by Juan Ballesteros was
christened Rancho Rosa de Castilla in 1831. The Rancho was named after the
stream which rab (runs) through the area (This stream is the same one that
still runs adjacent to Cal State LA and the 710 freeway. You can still see the
creek as you enter the 710 S on Valley Blvd). Rancho Rosa de Castilla included
what today are the communities of El Sereno, parts of City Terrace, Lincoln
Heights, South Pasadena, Alhambra, and Monterey Park." Source of
Study early map to see if it indicates the stream or not:
Where did the ESHS get the base map?
Includes early map of Rancho Rosa de Castilla (approximate boundaries).
- Lawsuits involving people or aspects of University Hills 90032
- http://90032.org What are they
doing? How does such all affect University Hills 90032 ?
- What? "Spanish land grant came to be known as Rancho Rosa de Castillo. Over
time Castillo has been modified/changed to Castilla, either by mistake or on
- Shopping carts strewn? What to do with them? Enjoy
rolling them to the recycle center. Benefit by the exercise. Clear them
- Using sanitation containers effectively: Share space in the green,
black, and blue containers for collaborative projects! We have enough
space in our collective containers to keep our community clean, if we sometimes
give over some container empty space when volunteer efforts collect enough
debris. Form little agreements with volunteering neighbors.
- The "1 plus" agreement ... Have you
pledged to be a "1 plus" neighbor? Easy. Clean around your place
front and back and in your alley and in your street; and then occasionally one
bag filled with debris that you collect elsewhere in the neighborhood (RR
siding, streets, alleys, empty lots).
Once/day quick action will do it!
- Diagnostic Center Southern California
California Department of Education
4339 State University Drive,
Los Angeles, CA 90032
- The Diagnostic Center, Southern California, provides high-quality,
individualized services to special education students, their families, and
- CSULA for University Hills 90032 neighbors
- Stores in and near University Hills 90032
- Senior Centers near
- In 2011: Second annual kite festival at Ascot Hills Park?
Ref: Feb 2011 issue The Voice. Was there an event in 2012 and 2013 or
not? LA-32 Arts & Culture subcommittee ?
- LA-32 Neighborhood Council
- crime DNA lab at CSULA ? Address.
Proper name. Authority. South of CSULA campus.
- [ ] Business card, simple:
- [ ] Kite with
- [ ] Article in The Voice
- [ ] Google Add Site
- [ ] CSULA newspaper, article
- [ ] Hello, .... SandwichMan: Walk the neighborhood with sign.
- [ ] Imprinted gloves: UniversityHills90032.com
- [ ] Picker-up tool with imprint: UniversityHills90032.com
- [ ] Have "1+" bags imprinted with "1+" gem of
|Ideas? Send them in!
- Street game?
- Puzzle depicting University Hills 90032 ?
- Birds sited from University Hills?
- Coyote sightings have occurred. How is that going recently?
- Vistas from the hills? What do you see? Where are you standing?
- Aircraft routes notices around University Hills 90032.
- Vicious-dog map?
- Luguna Channel history?
Luguna Channel is
classified as a Stream in Los
Angeles County, California.
Elevation: 295 Feet above MSL (90 Meters) Where is the source
of the headwaters of the stream? Is the stream polluted? Sources of the
Our walk score:
] Dec. 2013 note: Heidleman
Rd. Stairway? What is the agreement with Los Angeles City? Who
maintains the stairs? What are the needs of the stairway? Repair?
Williams Place to O'Sullivan Dr. Many students and residents use
the stairway. Part of the stairway is concrete; part is wood. There are some
steps that definitely need repair. Who might adopt the debris cleaning, as the
City's schedule is not adequate to keep the quality of living at the stairway
up. 0.064 mi is a measure about the stairs.
Stairway: 234 stairs
Lower end: 5010 Williams Pl
Upper end: across from 4948 O'Sullivan
Parking: Limited parking along N Marianna Ave
Note: Info from "A
Guide to the Public Stairways of Los Angeles"
p.59, stairs #21."
- [ ] What is the proper name for the stairway up from Beatie Place.
The stairs connects Bohlig Rd. to Lafler Rd. The path could be better
developed. Wood stairs at its start and finish; there is a section with no
stairs, just dirt. It is an important connector to CSULA as well as a
good path for many neighbors. What are the notes in Planning on this
Beatie Place Stairs-Bohlig
Rd. to Lafler Rd [site misspells one of our streets. The site
states "26 stairs" but much of the path is without stairs, just inclined dirt.]
- Stairs that reach up to Seigneur
- Signs for University Hills:
- Valley west end of UH on north side,
- Valley at Block on north side,
- Lansdowne at Paseo, /Signs/UHonLansdowneAtPaseoRachoCastilla.jpg
- entrance on Eastern,
- On Valley Blvd. Is the density higher than Los Angeles
ordinance allows? Find out. Anyone?
- On wall of business at Block, seen by east-going traffic
- At light at Block. Two large set for east viewing and west viewing.
|Miscellaneous ideas sent in:
- [ ] Repair wood handrail on the Beatie stairs
- [ ] Ask people to care for the section of alley that is behind their house
or business. Thank you!
- [ ] Repair grabbers
- [ ] Repair parts for lids to sanitation containers.
- [ ] Marijuana plastics strewn on Valley and elsewhere. Ask the dealers to
ask their patrons to properly dispose of the plastic containers and bags.
- [ ] Volunteers are needed in January and February to uproot any and all
found goathead-thorn plans on Valley Blvd. RR yard and elsewhere. Let's stop
that plants that hurts people, animals, tires, areas. puncturevine, Tribulus
seeds can remain dormant for up to five years." So, a
five-year effort is needed! One idea: foam
roller to collect the seeds; fewer seeds and fewer young plants that will be
needed to uproot. Idea: Surface scraper that scrapes the young
plant before it matures. "an
old piece of carpet, slid along the ground, to help pick seeds up"